Korean National Health Insurance
Since March 1, 2021
Registration to the Korean National Health Insurance is MANDATORY for all international students enrolled at Hallym University (including exchange students). Registration to the Korean National Health Insurance System (KNHIS) is controlled by the Korean government. Non-registration of an insurance policy may place restrictions on students' visa procedure.
* Prior to all, please note that KNHIS is executed upon the Personal Information Protection Act, thus anyone else but yourself ONLY can access your exact data on the government-run system. *
- Official Flyer from the Korean National Health Insurance in 한국어, English
- Scanned version of printed leaflet in 한국어, English, 中文, tiếng viêt, Uzbek, Русский, Монгол
- ♦ You will receive a payment invoice (bill) via your official address marked on your Alien Registration Card. Therefore, Hallym ISSO department strongly encourages all international students to verify your current/correct address and, if needed, make the address change declaration.
※ Address change declaration, click here.
- ♦ You can also apply for an electronic bill and automatic monthly wire bank transfer by submitting the following forms to the KNHIS office email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax 033-749-9503 (Chuncheon branch). As the forms are all in Korean, please ask your Korean friend to help you complete it. Or you can visit ISSO office to ask for help (sorry but online support is not provided in this case because of handling your personal information).
※ Download the application form for electronic bill ⇨ 200 KRW discount in case of email-bill request
※ Download the application form for automatic monthly wire bank transfer ⇨ 200 KRW discount
- ♦ There are other ways to check your bill and make the payment. Please check it out:
- ♦ The essential benefits from the KNHIS :
- payment of the medical treatment, deducted to 30-60% of regular amount
- reimbursement claim (refund request) is not necessary
- inpatient treatment (hospitalization), deducted to approx. 20% of regular amount
- medical check-up opportunity every 2 years (※ there can be some extra payment depending on which check-up you choose)
- ♦ Shortcomings of KNHIS :
- in case of a hospitalization due to a serious accident or sickness, you will not be able to go through the admission procedure without a legal guardian. N.B. None of Hallym University staffs can take this role.
- in case of a surgery or inpatient treatment, for which you will have to pay a considerable expense, you might get some deduction by KNHIS but the rest is all on your own charge.
- in case of death due to any accident or sickness, no benefit and no refund cost.
- ※ Therefore, in case you want to get a wider coverage, which the university recommends for your safe and healthy stay in Korea, please get an extra private insurnace.
- either you take one by yourself
- or you take one connected to ISSO : please contact <email@example.com>
- ♦ With a yearly income of more than 3,600,000 KRW OR a property of more than 135 million KRW, you are not subject to get the discount for the international students' payment.
- ♦ KNHIS payment is imposed per household (legal family). Therefore, if you stay in Korea with your family member(s), you can apply for household(family)-integration to get a discount. You have to submit a family/marriage/birth certificate to the KNHIS office.
- marriage certificate : less than 3-month old when issued by Korean goverment OR less than 9-month old when issued from a foreign country (outside Korea)
- certificate MUST be all translated in Korean AND notarized (Apostille)
- For other detailed information, please refer to the National Health Insurance Service website: (click below icon)
1577-1000 (+7 for a language service) / 033-811-2000
- Chuncheon branch office address : 춘천시 공지로 494번길 4(근화동) 국민건강보험공단 - there may not be any foreign language support.